Saturday, July 14, 2012

Fuji Newest 4.0

I got a new bike!  I talked for a year about purchasing a bicycle.  Swore I would do it.  But then I did not.  This spring arrived and I said, with more conviction this time, "I will buy a bike this spring."  Then I did not.  Suddenly it was June!  And I really wanted a bicycle.  So I set myself a goal of purchasing one in June.  I failed to meet that goal, but I did buy one on July 03.

I walked into the neighborhood bike shop having only the vaguest idea about what I wanted.  I knew that I had a finite amount of money to spend, that I wanted to be able to go on casual rides, to the park and such, possibly commute to work now and then, and maybe even ride in some longer rides like the Five Boro Bike Tour or the NYC Century series.  The sales staff was very helpful, and although they originally told me I'd only be able to afford a hybrid bike (best for commuters), I ended up walking out with a beautiful, new, blue road bike.



It has been so much fun!  I wanted the bike to make getting places easier, especially places that are just out of walking distance.  The very afternoon I got it, I rode to the park.  It's about half a mile from home, and the walk, while not unpleasant, can be a deterrent at times.  Riding there takes ten minutes, max!  I love it.  I took a few nervous turns around the park.  I haven't been on a bike in about 15 years or so, so riding makes me nervous.  It was tough to realize that the ONLY place I had to ride was the street!  With cars! And pedestrians!  But I made it there safely, and took some time to relax.



Since my first ride (and I've only had the bike a couple of weeks) I've gone on four or five short rides to the park and around my neighborhood.  I feel a little bit as though I'm getting my sea legs back -- but the old adage is correct, you never forget how to ride a bike.  Just the other night a friend helped me expand my horizons and took me on a ride to Gantry Plaza State Park in Long Island City.  I have been wanting to visit the park for a while -- I haven't been since last year -- so I was excited to learn the route.  It was interesting to recognize the difference in my confidence levels when riding with another person.  I felt safer, but not in a way I can really explain.

Anyway, we made it to the park and locked up our bikes -- the first time I had done so.  I can probably use some practice in that area.  Then we walked around and enjoyed the breezy night and the view of Manhattan. It must be one of the best spots to enjoy the vistas of the city.  



So begins what I hope is a long love affair with my bicycle.  It won't always feel good or be fun, but I think that the places we'll go together will make up for the pain.  

No comments:

Post a Comment