Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Happy New Year!

Here we are in 2012.  I did not make any resolutions. Not really.  The thing with resolutions is, they get broken. And then, I feel shitty.  I do have some things I'd like to do.  A friend of mine made a really wonderful, comprehensive list of intentions for 2012, but I'm not that advanced.  I jotted down some ideas.

Idea #1
Go climbing, either rock or in a gym.  Goal accomplished! Thanks to a friend having a great idea for a birthday celebration, I was able to spend the day at a climbing gym only 14 days into the new year.  We hope to make it a monthly occurrence.  It was so much fun.  I had to travel far from home (1 hour) to do it, but it was definitely worth it.  By the end of the day, my forearms were trashed.  I had to sign a card and I literally could not do it the first time I tried.  My arms and back were sore for several days, and I can't wait to feel like that again.

Idea #2
Write more.  And look, here I am doing just that.  But really. I should write more.  I should take Wilford Brimley's advice on checking blood sugar levels and apply it to writing: Do it, and do it often.

Idea #3
Travel more!  I love to travel, really, I do.  I don't have any money. Traveling (the way I prefer to do it) takes money.  So really I guess Idea #3 should read, "make/save money!" But it doesn't.  My brother has applied for a job transfer to Alaska.  I really hope he gets it.  Then I can visit!  I've wanted to visit Alaska for several years now, and this could be my chance.  I'd know someone and have a place to stay.  I want to go lots of places, both near and far, but I find that I don't travel well alone. Actually, I've never tried.  I'm a chicken.  I think I just landed on idea #4!   However, I like traveling with good friends/partners.  So, to travel, I guess I need to coerce my friends into going where I want to go.

Idea #4
Stop being a chicken.

As for resolutions for the New Year, I suppose I understand the idea that the beginning of the year is a good time to drop old habits and start news ones.  However, this is a process that I try to do throughout the year.  I believe that I am constantly, and hopefully consistently, on the path to self improvement.  I try to challenge myself and keep up good habits, making them stronger, while leaving bad habits in the dust.  There is a lot of room for improvement.  But choking up January with tons of intentions is no way to begin.  I don't want to slog through a list of resolutions and get bottle-necked with everyone else trying to eat right, exercise more, buy local, etc.  I'll just keep on doing what I've been trying to do.  There is no finish line, and the only moment is now.

That being said, I really should try being on time to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment